New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources
New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology
801 Leroy Place
Socorro NM 87801-4796
(575) 835-6333 fax
As Manager of the Electron Microprobe Lab at the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources (NMBGMR), I operate and maintain the CAMECA SX100 electron microprobe. My responsibilities encompass all aspects of lab operations, including routine or specialized calibration of the Cameca SX100, maintenance of supporting instrumentation and organization and cleanliness of lab facilities. I have worked with a wide range of sample types as primary analyst and have been involved in a broad range of complex research projects. One of my primary responsibilities is assisting and advising users. Over the years I have trained numerous students and researchers on the use of the instrument and have assisted them with sample preparation and data interpretation. I also function as the Microprobe Service Center Manager. In this role I maintain detailed records and statistics on microprobe usage, invoice users, track lab finances, set service center rates and prepare and submit an annual lab budget.
- Completed 1 yr. towards M.S., Geology, University of Maine, Orono; 1984.
- B.S., Geology, University of Minnesota, Duluth, 1983
- 40hr Hazardous Waste Site Operations Course
- Site assessment Using Soil Gas Monitoring
- On-Site Treatment of Contaminated Soils
- Electron Microprobe Lab Manager, Geochemist, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM; 2017-present.
- Sr. Lab Associate, Electron Microprobe Lab, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM; 2001-2016.
- Electron Microprobe Lab Technician, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM; 1998-2000.
- Education Outreach Assistant, NM Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM; 1998-2000.
- Assistant Curator, NM Mineral Museum, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Socorro, NM; 1984-1998
- Project Geologist, Smith Emery Company, Los Angeles CA; 1990-1993.
- Administrative Coordinator, Peterson Ryan Mallin Architects/Facilities Design Group, Albany, NY; 1986-1989.
- Geological Consultant, Maine Geological Survey, Orono, ME; 1983-1984.
- Field Technician, Acid Rain Research Research Initiative, Univ. of ME, Orono; 1983.
- Physical Science Technician, Environmental Protection Agency, Limnological Research Laboratory, Duluth, MN; 1982-1983.
Honors & Awards
- Department of Natural resources summer internship awardee, 1981
- AIME Tools of the Trade award recipient, 1981
- NSF Junior Scientist delegate; summer research program, Univ. of WI, 1977
- American Geophysical Union
- Geological Society of America
- New Mexico Geological Society