Lewis A. Land
& Karst Hydrologist (NMBGMR liason to NCKRI)
New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources
c/o the National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Ave
Carlsbad, NM 88220
- Ph.D., Geology, 1999, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. C.K. Paull, advisor. Dissertation: "Processes & Manifestations of Fluid Exchange within Passive Continental Margins"
- M.S., Geology, 1993, University of Oklahoma. D.W. Stearns, advisor. Thesis: "3-D Characterization of Basement Faults & Forced Folds, NE Uncompahgre Plateau, Western Colorado"
- B.S., Geology, 1981, University of Oklahoma
Karst hydrology and geomorphology; patterns of regional groundwater circulation; water resources; hydrogeophysics; fresh water-saline water relationships in coastal aquifers and intermontane basins.
- 2002-present: Cave and Karst Hydrologist: New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Carlsbad, NM
- 2000-2002: Hydrogeologist, Ground Water Branch: North Carolina Division of Water Resources, Raleigh, NC
- 1998: Summer intern, West Africa Group, offshore Angola: Exxon Exploration Co, Houston, TX
- 1997: Staff geologist, Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Project: Harding-Lawson Assoc., Morrisville, NC
- 1991: Summer intern, New Ventures Group, North Africa: Exxon Co. International, Houston, TX
- 1982-1989: Exploration Geologist, Mid-Continent, Rocky Mountain regions: Oxy USA (Cities Service Oil Co.), Oklahoma City, OK
- Land, L. & Huff, G. F., 2010, “Multi-tracer investigation of groundwater residence time in a karstic aquifer: Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, New Mexico, USA”: Hydrogeology Journal, v. 18, p. 455-472; also available as New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources Open-File Report no. 521, 32 p.
- Land, L., 2009, “Anthropogenic sinkholes in the Delaware Basin Region: West Texas and southeastern New Mexico”: West Texas Geological Society Bulletin, v. 48, p. 10-22.
- Land, L., 2009, “The impact of hypogenic processes on water resources in the arid southwest: Examples from the lower Pecos region of New Mexico,USA”, in Stafford, K. W., Land, L. & Veni, G. (eds.), Advances in Hypogene Karst Studies, National Cave & Karst Research Institute Symposium no.1, p. 149-156.
- Land, L. & Burger, P., 2008, “Rapid recharge events in a karstic aquifer: An example from Lake of the White Roses, Lechuguilla Cave, NM”, in Proceedings of the Eleventh Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, Tallahassee, Florida: ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication no. 183, p. 396-403.
- Stafford, K., Land, L., & Klimchouk, A., 2008, “Hypogenic speleogenesis within Seven Rivers evaporites: Coffee Cave, Eddy County, New Mexico”: Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, v. 70, p. 47-61.
- Land, L. & Newton, B. T., 2007, “Seasonal and long-term variations in hydraulic head in a karstic aquifer: Roswell Artesian Basin, New Mexico”: New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources Open-File Report no. 503, 27 p.
- Land, L., Lueth, V., Raatz, B., Boston, P., & Love, D. (eds.), 2006, “Caves and Karst of Southeastern New Mexico”: New Mexico Geological Society, Guidebook 57, 344 p.
- Land, L., 2005, “Evaluation of groundwater residence time in a karstic aquifer using environmental tracers: Roswell Artesian Basin, New Mexico”, in Proceedings of the Tenth Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, San Antonio, Texas, 2005: ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication no. 144, p. 432-440.
- Land, L., Lautier, J., Wilson, N., Chianese, G., & Webb, S., 2004, “Geophysical Monitoring and Evaluation of Coastal Plain Aquifers”: Ground Water, v. 42, p. 59-67.
- Land, L., 2003, “Evaporite karst and regional ground water circulation in the lower Pecos Valley”, in Johnson, K.S. & Neal, J.T. (eds.), Evaporite Karst and Engineering/Environmental Problems in the United States: Oklahoma Geological Survey Circular 109, p. 227-232.
- Land, L. & Paull, C.K., 2001, "Thermal gradients as a tool for estimating ground water advective rates in a coastal estuary: White Oak River, North Carolina, USA": Journal of Hydrology, v. 248, p. 198-215.
- Land, L. & Paull, C.K., 2000, "Submarine karst belt rimming the continental slope in the Straits of Florida": Geo-Marine Letters, v. 20, p. 123-132.
- Land, L. & Paull, C.K., 1999, "Abyssal erosion and scarp retreat: Deep Tow observations of the Blake Escarpment and Blake Spur": Marine Geology, v. 160, p. 63-83.
- Land, L., Paull, C.K., & Hobson, B., 1995, "Genesis of a submarine sinkhole without subaerial exposure: Straits of Florida": Geology, v. 23, p. 949-951.
- Geological Society of America (GSA)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) — Permian Basin Section
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
- Sigma Xi
- New Mexico Geological Society
- Roswell Geological Society