New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources
New Mexico Tech
801 Leroy Place
Socorro NM 87801-4796
(575) 835-5487 Office Phone
(575) 835-6333 fax
For the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, I manage the map production group within the Geologic Mapping Program and assist with the prioritization and creation of the bureau’s geologic and other maps. I work closely with a broad cross section of the bureau’s field staff who are capturing geologic data across the state. This is done, in part, by establishing digital and print standards for map production, maintaining the database of maps produced through NM STATEMAP, and developing new and innovative ways to store, display, and present our collection of maps to professional clients and the general public. I also facilitate the distribution of these geologic maps as PDF's and GIS files. From time to time, I also participate in discussions of best practices and training in the use of Geographic Information Systems.
Additionally, for the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, within the Earth and Environments Sciences Department, I am the Instructor for the Introduction to Geographic Information Systems cross-listed courses.
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology — Bachelor of Science (BS), Geological and Earth Sciences/Geosciences, 2006 – 2014
I studied the interrelationships that make up our physical world to understand the underpinnings of geology. I particularly, enjoyed the aspects of paleontology and caves and karst. All of this was done while working full time to afford myself the opportunity to complete my education goal.
Central New Mexico Community College — Associate of Applied Sciences (AAS), Computer Technology, Computer Graphics, and Animation, 1998 – 2002
I learned PC repair and upgrading, networking, and programming while completing a directed focus on the methods and processes for creating production quality computer graphics and animations. This included building models, creating textures, movement (inverse kinematic, reverse kinematic and coded), lighting, compositing, video and sound editing, and post production procedures.
GIS Instructor, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, August 2014 – Present
Create a learning environment for Introduction to Geographic Information Systems classes: ENVS412, ERTH412, and GEOL512. Introduce and explore the topics of Datum and Projection, data management, file types, data types, file structure, data creation and editing, digitizing, and basic analytic procedures. This is all done to set a solid foundation for the students to be able to use, and begin to excel in their professional endeavors.
Map Production Coordinator, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, October 2011 – Present
Manage the development of geologic maps for the mapping group. Assist in coordinating the mapping staff on simultaneous mapping efforts. Maintain and develop digital and print standards for map production. Maintain database of the maps produced through STATEMAP. Develop new and innovative ways to store, display, and present our collection of maps to professional clients and the general public.
Cartographer II, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, September 2008 – October 2011
Create graphics that conform to a production standard and ready for publication in: New Mexico Geology, and Earth Matters and other various scientific, general interest, and outreach publications. Materials produced including maps, charts, and figures.
- Technical Writing
- Production and Coordination
- Graphic Design and Layout
- Global Mapper
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Acrobat Pro
- Computer Animation
- 3D Studio Max
- Aby, Scott , J.; Timmons, Michael; Miller, Phil L., 2016, Geologic Map of the El Vado 7.5-Minute Quadrangle, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, OF-GM 257, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, scale 1:24,000
- Allen, Bruce D.; Timmons, J. Michael; Luther, Amy L.; Miller, Phil; Love, David W., 2014, Geologic Map of the Cerro Montoso 7.5-Minute Quadrangle, Socorro County, New Mexico, OF-GM 238, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resource, scale 1:24,000.
- Love, David W.; Gillam, Mary L. ; Benson, Larry V. ; Friedman, Richard ; Miller, Phil; Vincent, Kirk R., 2011, Geomorphology, hydrology, and alluvial stratigraphy in lower Chaco Canyon do not support the possible existence of prehistoric sand-dammed ephemeral lakes, New Mexico Geology, v. 33, n. 4, pp. 107-123.
- Rienhart, Alex; Love, David W.; Miller, Phil, 2014, Geologic Map of the Black Butte 7.5-Minute Quadrangle, Socorro and Valencia Counties, New Mexico, OF-GM 235, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, scale 1:24,000.