B. Talon Newton
New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources
New Mexico Tech
801 Leroy Place
Socorro NM 87801
- B.S., Geology, NM Tech, 2001
- M.S., Hydrology, NM Tech, 2004
Thesis title: "Geological controls on shallow groundwater quality in the Socorro Basin, New Mexico"
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Queen’s Universitty Belfast, 2012
Dissertation title: "The use of applied noble gas tracers to assess physical and geochemical processes in natural and engineered hydrologic systems"
- Isotope geochemistry
- Applied and environmental tracer methodologies in hydrology
- Contaminant transport
- Groundwater modeling
- Watershed study in the Sacramento Mountains, NM – assessment of the effects of the thinning of vegetation on the local groundwater system
- Newton, B.T., Elliot, T., and Kalin, R. 2005. Bulk –Partitioning Tracer Tests to Assess the Effects of Hydrogen Evolution on Flow and Transport Characteristics in Zero-Valent Iron Columns. British Geophysical Association New Horizons Post-Graduate Research Conference. Galway, Ireland.
- Land, L.A., and Newton, B.T. 2004. Seasonal and Long-Term Variations in Hydraulic Head in a Regional Karst Aquifer: Roswell Artesian Basin, New Mexico. Geological Society of America National Conference. Denver, Colorado.
- Newton, B.T., Bowman, R., Phillips, F., Johnson, P. 2004. Investigation on the Presence and Origin of High Chloride Waters in the Shallow Hydrologic System in the Socorro Basin, New Mexico. New Mexico Geological Society Annual Spring Meeting. Socorro, New Mexico.
- Newton, Brad T., Wilcox, Laura J., and Bowman, Robert S. 2003. Evaluation of Groundwater/Surface water Interactions along a Critical Reach of The Middle Rio Grande, New Mexico. New Mexico Geological Society Annual Spring Meeting. Socorro, New Mexico.
- Newton, Brad T., Kuhn, S., Johnson, P., Hathaway, D.L. 2002. Investigation of Flow and Seepage Conditions on a Critical Reach of the Rio Grande, New Mexico. American Water Resource Association Specialty Conference. Keystone, Colorado.
- Newton, T., Wilcox, L., Bowman, R. 2002. Evaluation of Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions in the Middle Rio Grande (San Acacia - Elephant Butte Reservoir). SAHRA Conference. Tucson, Arizona.
- Phillips, F., Small, E., Kurc, S., Lechler, B., Newton, T., Rosenau, N., Thomas, T., Walvoord, M. 2002. Assessing the Spatial Variability of Soil-Water Parameters and Ecohydrological Relations :"The Great Vadose Zone Experiment". SAHRA Conference. Tucson, Arizona.
- Newton, B.T., Campbell, A., Turin, H.J., Phillips, F.M., Plummer, M. 2001. A Stable Isotopic Investigation of Cave Pools in Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico. Geological Society of America Southwest Regional Meeting. Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Newton, Brad T., Kuhn, S., Johnson, P., Hathaway, D.L. Investigation of Flow and Seepage Conditions on a Critical Reach of the Rio Grande, New Mexico. 2002. AWRA Proceedings for Groundwater/Surface water Interactions Conference, p. 581-586.