New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources
New Mexico Tech
801 Leroy Place
Socorro NM 87801-4796
(575) 835-6333 fax
New Mexico Tech, NM — Ph.D Geochronology, 2014
Dissertation: Geochronology of Southern McMurdo Sound and development of Pychron: A 40Ar/39Ar data collection and processing software suite.
New Mexico Tech, NM — M.Sc Geochemistry, 2009
Thesis: 40Ar/39Ar Chronology of volcanic events in the AND-1B drillcore – implications for age models and glacial history of the Ross Embayment
McGill University, QC — B.Sc Earth and Planetary Science, 2006
Research Scientist, New Mexico Bureau of Geology — 2016—Present
Advancing software, hardware and analytical procedures for noble gas mass spectrometry and Ar-Ar geochronology.
Consultant, Pychron Labs LLC — 2015—Present
Founder and principal developer for Pychron Labs LLC, a small consulting firming provide custom scientific software for noble gas mass spectrometry.
Network Administrator, New Mexico Bureau of Geology — 2015—Present
Day to day network administration for the New Mexico Bureau of Geology, an organization of ~70 geoscientists and staff. Network setup and management for New Mexico Geochronology Research Laboratory.
Post-Doctoral Researcher, NMGRL — 2014—Present
Post-doctoral researcher at the New Mexico Geochronology Research Laboratory. Responsibilities include, software developer/advisor, network/database admin, design and fabrication of custom scientific tools, such as a Diode Laser Furnace.
Python Instructor, New Mexico Tech; Socorro, NM — 2014
Taught the CS/IT 107 course “Introduction to Computer Programming with Python”. Semi-weekly 90 minute lectures and weekly 3 hour labs.
Research Assistant, NMGRL — 2006–2014
Research assistant at the New Mexico Geochronology Research Laboratory. Developed multiple software products that are now used globally, for example, Pychron, a full featured data acquisition and processing suite for Ar-Ar thermo-geochronology.
- Ross, J. I. and McIntosh, W. C., 2012. Hardware and Software Interfacing at New Mexico Geochronology Research Laboratory: Distributed Control Using Pychron and RemoteControlServer.cs. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts p. 1501
- Ross, J. I., McIntosh, W. C., and Wilch, T.I., 2012. Detailed Ar-Ar Geochronology of Volcanism at Minna Bluff, Antarctica: Two-Phased Growth and Influence on Ross Ice Shelf. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts p. 578
- Ross, J. I., McIntosh, W. C., and Dunbar, N. W., 2012. Development of a precise and accurate age–depth model based on 40Ar/39Ar dating of volcanic material in the ANDRILL (1B) drill core, Southern McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Global and Planetary Change, v96-97, p. 118-130
- Naish, T. R., Powell, R. D., Barrett P. J., Levy, R. H., Henrys, S., Wilson, G. S., Krissek, L. A., Niessen, F., Pompilio, M., Ross, J. I., Scherer, R., Talarico, F., Pyne, A., and the ANDRILL-MIS Science team. 2008. Late Cenozoic climate history of the Ross Embayment from the AND-1B drill hole: Culmination of three decades of Antarctic margin drilling." Antarctica: Keystone in a Changing World. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences. Washington DC: The National Academic Press.
- Ross, J. I., McIntosh, W. C., and Dunbar, N. W., 2007. A-2 Preliminary 40Ar/39Ar results from the AND-1B core. The 10th International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences.
- Wilson, G. S., Levy, R. H., Browne, G., Florindo, F., Henrys, S. A., Graham, I., McIntosh, W. C., McKay, R. M., Naish T. R., Ohneiser, C., Powell, R. D., Ross, J. I., Sagnotti, L., Scherer, R., Sjunneskog, C., Strong, C. P., Taviani, M., and Winter D. A-3 Preliminary chronostratigraphy for the upper 700 m (upper Miocene-Pleistocene) of the AND-1B drillcore recovered from beneath the McMurdo Ice Shelf, Antarctica. The 10th International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences.
- Wilson, G., Levy, R., Browne, G., Dunbar, N., Florindo, F., Henry, S., Graham, I., McIntosh, W., McKay, R., Naish, T., Ohneiser, C., Powell, R., Ross, J., Sagnotti, L., Scherer, R., Sjunneskog, C., Strong, C.P., Taviani, M., Winter, D., and the ANDRILL MIS Science Team, 2007. Preliminary integrated chronostratigraphy of the AND-1B Core, ANDRILL McMurdo Ice Shelf Project, Antarctica. Terra Antarctica 14, p. 297-316.
- New Mexico and Colorado, US, 2006-Present
- Minna Bluff, Southern McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, 2007-2008
- Mt. Erebus, Ross Island, Antarctica, 2006-2007
- Ol Doinyo Lengai, Tanzania, Africa, 2006
- International Volcanology Field Camp, Kamchatka, Russia, 2005
- National Science Foundation Grant, “Continued development of Pychron for 40Ar/39Ar geochronology”, $112,356 2015-2016
- David Harrington Memorial Prize for Geochemistry, McGill University, 2006
- Python, Django, Numpy, Scipy, Matplotlib, PySide, Qt, Enthought Tool Suite
- Software/Hardware interface, Data acquisition, Data management, UX
- Machine vision
- PIC Microcontrollers/Arduino/RaspberryPI
- Network management
- 2D/3D CAD