Geologic mapping is central to much of the research at the New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources (NMBGMR). We have several types of maps that portray geologic information at various scales, both as printed maps and as PDF files (most of these files are free to download). Digital map files (GIS products) are available for many of these maps.
See: 'What is a geologic map and what are they used for?' for a discussion of geologic maps or 7.5-minute Geologic Quadrangles for more information about finding detailed geologic maps..
- Statewide Geologic Maps of New Mexico:
- Geologic maps of 7.5-minute quadrangles:
- Over a hundred and sixty Open File Geologic Maps have been projects of our STATEMAP Program over the last 14 years. The geologic field work and basic research are a primary source of geoscience information for our staff and other geoscientists throughout the region (see our index of STATEMAP open-filed geologic maps or our index of quadrangle mapping in New Mexico).
- Our GM-series geologic maps are high-quality offset-printed paper maps. Our open-filed products will migrate to this series following rigorous review and cartographic production.
- Geologic Map compilations (open file reports): These maps reflect a new effort to assemble existing geologic data for an area of importance. These maps build upon the latest mapping completed in the STATEMAP program.
- Our monograph series are another source for geologic maps (often included as plates) and detailed research.
- Most USGS geologic maps of New Mexico are available from our publications office (contact us to see if a map you need is in stock).
Searching for geologic or other maps that cover a given area can be complicated because maps may cover unpredicable areas (e.g. quadrangles, counties, study areas, etc.) and be at various scales. Aside from our statewide maps, most of our maps are of 7.5 minute quadrangles (search by name). Another way to locate maps is to use either our Interactive Map Portal or the USGS National Geologic Map Database which catalogs maps in various searchable ways.