New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources
The New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources is a non-regulatory agency that serves as the geological survey for the state of New Mexico, and is a research and service division of New Mexico Tech. There are research-based, information distribution, and basic science components to the work that we do.
As our Scientific Illustrator, you will produce digital geologic maps, cartographic illustrations, scientific figures, and graphics—primarily utilizing Adobe Creative Suite and ArcGIS—in collaboration with Bureau scientists, staff, and external contributors. You will also create additional graphics for slides, posters, displays, and presentations to support Bureau research, promotional, and administrative initiatives. Throughout, your aim will be ensuring that illustrations conform to the highest level of Bureau quality and standards for use in both internal and public-facing Bureau of Geology publications.
To succeed in this role you must have:
- a content-integrity mindset, maintaining strict standards of scientific rigor and professionalism around Bureau content;
- an ability to translate complex scientific data into clear and precise visuals for use in digital and print formats;
- a command of the end-to-end process of producing maps and graphics, including familiarity with GSA and USGS cartographic standards and technical style guides;
- a thorough understanding of how graphics work with content;
- an exceptional command of the full Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop) and, if possible, ArcGIS, along with the interest and ability to learn other industry-appropriate software programs;
- exemplary asset management, project management, time management, and organizational skills;
- confidence in cultivating positive working relationships with diverse research and production teams;
- strong computer and software skills, fluency with graphic file formats and conversion between programs and across platforms;
- sharp design instincts and attention to detail to ensure the accuracy, consistency, readability, and accessibility of scientific graphics across all of the Bureau's digital and print publication formats.
Additional qualifications that will set you apart include:
- a bachelor’s degree in scientific or technical illustration or graphic art with additional geography and/or earth science work considered a plus;
- two to five years of scientific or technical illustration experience.
A self-motivated, curious, and collaborative individual will be a good fit for this team.
We recognize that no single candidate will possess all the desired qualifications. We're looking for someone with an eagerness and ability to jump right in, build on their existing skill sets, and contribute to the success of this integral Bureau program. Training will be provided where expertise gaps exist; applicants with deeper experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please visit https://www.nmt.edu/hr/employment.php to view the complete job description and application forms. To apply, please prepare the following as a single PDF: completed job application form, cover letter detailing your experience, strengths, and interest in this position, resume, and a few of your best portfolio samples (progress of revisions/refinements appreciated) demonstrating knowledge of illustration/graphics skills to email@example.com c/o Rosa Jaramillo and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Bureau of Geology Scientific Illustrator” in the email subject line.
Position will remain open until filled.
About New Mexico Tech:
New Mexico Tech is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility, and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. New Mexico Tech is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All those interested in the position are encouraged to apply, including women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
A competitive benefits package including healthcare, dental, vision, retirement plan, tuition fee waiver, and on-campus childcare are available for this position.
New Mexico Bureau of Geology is a research and service division of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. We are located in Socorro, in the scenic Rio Grande River Valley of central New Mexico, 75 miles south of Albuquerque and 139 miles south of Santa Fe. Nearby mountains and desert canyons provide opportunities for excellent hiking, climbing, and mountain biking. The Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, located just south of Socorro along a major north-south flyway, offers some of the best birding in the USA.
Application details are available on the New Mexico Tech (NMT) jobs page.