Education & Outreach
An important part of the mission of the Bureau of Geology is to distribute accurate geoscience information about the natural resources, hazards, and geologic history of New Mexico. We serve a broad audience, from professional geoscientists and university professors to grade-school children and their teachers, as well as influential decision makers and the general public. Our world-class mineral museum supports a large visitor population and runs programs for teachers and students. Our publications and periodicals such as Earth Matters and Lite Geology, as well as other printed materials, can be purchased at our store or through our web site. We also support and advise student research.
- Resources for teachers are available including continuing education opportunities like "Rockin' Around New Mexico" and lesson plans and materials through our Geological Extension Service (GES) and Albuquerque Teacher Resource Center.
- We also maintains an Earthquake Education website called "Tremor" that should prove informative to both students and the general public interested or concerned about earthquakes in New Mexico.
- Be sure to browse our many publications. While many of our titles are for a technical audience, there are several publications written specifically for teachers, the interested general public, and amateur geology enthusiasts. Lite Geology is a free non-technical resource for teachers that is informative and fun to read. Lite Geology contains a wealth of classroom resources, including prepared exercises on our site as well as links to others. Earth Matters is our free semi-annual general-interest newsletter that contains information about our activities as well as an earth science article of topical importance to our state. You can subscribe to receive an email notification when new issues of either of these free periodicals are available.
- School-children and adults alike enjoy visiting our Mineral Museum (no admission fees) which highlights many of the mineral districts in New Mexico and elsewhere.
- In celebration of Earth Science Week, we began collaborating in 2009 with the staff at KUNM radio to create a week-long series of stories on the geology of New Mexico called Earth Matters: Field Notes on the Geology of New Mexico's Enchanting Landscapes. We have posted podcasts of the radio spots in case you missed them or want to hear them again.
- Decision Makers have attended topical field conferences we have organized to focus on geoscience issues affecting our state. The fieldguides from these conferences contain articles for a non-technical audience about important geoscience issues.
- We also maintain a list of scholarships for New Mexico geoscience students.
You may also want to: