Maureen WilksEmeritus — Senior Geologist
New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources
New Mexico Tech
Socorro, NM 87801
Maureen Wilks is an Emeritus Senior Geologist at the bureau where she oversaw the Geological Information Center, which includes a library on the geology of New Mexico, historical mining documents, maps and reports, and a historical photograph collection of over 6000 images related primarily to mining.
Maureen arrived in New Mexico from Great Britain in 1987 to pursue a Ph.D in geochemistry at New Mexico Tech. In 1995 she started to work part-time at the Bureau to begin to convert their paper collections into more accessible digital datasets. In her other part time position she is an artist and writer. In 2000 she collaborated with photographer Thomas Wiewandt in writing the text for award winning The Southwest Inside Out: An illustrated guide to the land and its history. When not working she is out hiking in the desert, or scrambling over the mountains of the Southwest . In the hot summer months she likes to rescue snakes from highways and neighbors backyards. She also chases after flash floods and photographs, lizards, toads, insects, wild flowers and wild weather. Since 2001 she has been working with her digital photographs of wildlife and wildflowers transforming them into fine art pieces.
- Ph.D., 1991 New Mexico Tech
- M. S., 1986 University of Saskatchewan , Canada
- B.A., 1982 Oxford University , Great Britain
- Wilks, Maureen, New Mexico's renewable energy industries, Lite Geology, v. 37, p 2-6, 2015
- Wilks, Maureen, What minerals supply renewable energy needs?, Lite Geology, v. 37, p. 6-7, 2015
- Wilks, Maureen,Global impacts of coal production, Lite Geology, v. 36, p. 10-12, 2014
- Wilks, Maureen, Global impacts of the shale oil and gas boom, Lite Geology, v. 35, p. 7-8, 2014
- Wilks, Maureen, Cave dwellers, Lite Geology, v. 34, pp. 5-7, 2013
- Wilks, Maureen; Bland, Douglas, Volcanoes of the Rio Grande rift, Lite Geology, v. 33, pp. 2-7, 2013
- Hoffman, Gretchen K.; Wilks, Maureen, 2013, Acquiring and georeferencing coal mine maps: San Juan Basin, NM, in: 2013 New Mexico Geological Society,Spring Meeting, April 12, 2013, Macey Center, New Mexico Tech, Socorro, NM, New Mexico Geology, v. 35, no. 2, pp. 51, 2013
- Hoffman, Gretchen K.; Wilks Maureen, Acquiring and georeferencing coal mine maps: San Juan Basin including the Gallup Coal Field (Supersedes OFR 530), New Mexico Bureau Geology Mineral Resources, Open-file Report, v. 549, DVD, 2012
- Hoffman, Gretchen K.; Wilks Maureen, Abandoned and inactive coal mines of the Gallup Coal Field, McKinley County, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Geology Mineral Resources, Open-file Report, 530, DVD, 2010.
- New Mexico Geologic Highway Map, compiled by Maureen E. Wilks, 2005. New Mexico Geological Society and New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, 1 double-sided field-durable sheet containing text and figures, scale 1:1,000,000
- McLemore, Virginia T.; Hoffman, Gretchen K.; Mansell, Mark; Jones, Glen R.; Krueger, Christian B.; Wilks, Maureen, Mining districts in New Mexico, Open-file Report 494, CD-ROM, 2005