Nominations: Annual New Mexico Earth Science Achievement Awards
Created in 2003, the Earth Science Achievement Awards generally honor two recipients, one for “outstanding contributions advancing the role of earth science in areas of public service and public policy” and the other for “outstanding contributions advancing the role of earth science in areas of applied science and education.” Nominations for these awards are welcome from the general public and may be made directly to the director of the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources.
The awards are currently sponsored by the New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources and the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department.
Nominations should include a letter that portrays the relevant accomplishments of the nominee, and any supplemental materials that might be useful to the selection committee.
Mail nominations to:State Geologist
Earth Science Achievement Award
New Mexico Bureau of Geology / New Mexico Tech
Socorro, NM 87801
Nominations can be made by anyone, and should relate to any or all of the following criteria:
- The nominee has made a major scientific contribution that has advanced our understanding of the geology, hydrology, hydrogeology, geophysics, or some related discipline in New Mexico.
- The nominee has a long-standing commitment to advance the understanding of the earth science systems of New Mexico.
- The nominee has had a major impact on earth science education in New Mexico.
- The nominee has facilitated the study of earth science in New Mexico in some way.
- The nominee has championed and/or implemented important earth science policy in New Mexico.
Basis of selection
- The winner(s) must meet the above criteria for nomination.
- The winner(s) must be judged as best of those nominated based on the uniqueness or significance of their work.
- For a nomination form, see our webpage: https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/about/esaa.
- For more information, contact us at (575) 835-5302.