Note: The description of hardware below is out of date and will be revised soon.
The resistance furnace used by the NMGRL is essentially...
- Advantages of a resistance furnace
- homogenous heating of bulk samples
- good temperature control (necessary for obtaining thermal histories from plutonic potassium feldspar)
- capable of analyzing large quantities of material (e.g. very young or low potassium samples)
- Disadvantages of a resistance furnace
- large extraction background or blank levels
- single-crystal analysis not feasible for most samples
- slow in comparison to CO2 laser system