New Mexico Geochronology Research Laboratory
Hardware — UV Laser
Note: The description of hardware below is out of date and will be revised soon.
The UV laser system used by the NMGRL:
- Advantages of a UV laser system
- capable of very small (> 10 micron) beam spot sizes needed for in situ argon extraction
- ablates material rather than heating/fusing. This means it will not effect argon sites immediately adjacent to current analysis spot.
- Disadvantages of a UV laser system
- expensive to purchase and maintain
- not capable of step-heating