On June 5, 2013, the Village of Magdalena had concerns that their primary pumping well was not functioning properly. In reaction to the Magdalena village well problems, broad community concern developed regarding the present groundwater conditions. To help address this concern, the Bureau of Geology and its Aquifer Mapping Program (with the New Mexico Environment Department), commenced a small-scale hydrogeologic assessment. The Bureau’s resources were onsite and available for geologic and hydrologic information and technical support in the region in the summer of 2013.
A report summarizing the finding of the 2013 hydrogeologic assessment is available for free download here:
Funded by the Aquifer Mapping Program.
For more information, please contact:
Stacy Timmons, Hydrogeologist / Aquifer Mapping Program Manager
- Anderholm, S.K., 1987, Hydrogeology of the Socorro and La Jencia Basins, Socorro County, New Mexico: Albuquerque, NM, U.S. Geological Survey, Water-Resources Investigation Report 84-4342, 62 p.
- Bishop, P.H., 1972, Geohydrology of the Magdalena area, Socorro County, New Mexico, New Mexico State Engineer, Open-file Report, 22 p.
- Bowring, S.A., 1980, The geology of the west-central Magdalena Mountains, Socorro County, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines Mineral Resources, Open-file Report, v. 0120, 135 p.
- Geologic Map of New Mexico, 2003, New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Scale 1:500,000.
- Krewedl, D.A., 1974, Geology of the central Magdalena Mountains, Socorro County, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines Mineral Resources, Open-file Report, v. 0044, 142 p.
- Loughlin, G.F. and Koschmann, A.H., 1942, Geology and ore deposits of the Magdalena mining district, New Mexico, U.S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper, v. 0200, 174 p.
- Osburn, G.R., 1984, Socorro County geologic map, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources, Open-file Report 238, 13 p.
- Siemers, W.T., 1973, Stratigraphy and petrology of Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, and Permian rocks in the Magdalena area, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources, Open-file Report 54, 141 p.
- Summers, W K.; Schwab, G.E.; Brandvold, L.A., 1972, Ground water characteristics in a recharge area, Magdalena Mountains, Socorro County, New Mexico, New Mexico Bureau of Mines Mineral Resources, Circular, v. 124, 18 p.
- Summers, W.K., 1975, Ground-water resources of the Village of Magdalena, Socorro County, New Mexico: A hydrologic report on the results of test drilling during February 1975, Santa Fe, Consultants Report to Ralph E. Vail, 17 p.