USGS Topographic Maps
Topographic maps portray the earth's terrain using lines of equal elevation called contour lines. The U.S. Geological Survey offers a handy booklet that defines topographic maps and describes how they are made. We carry paper copies of USGS topographic maps at a variety of scales (see discussion below).
Or, you can find quadrangles using the interactive map below. Use the layers button (top-right) to select a map scale of interest, zoom in to the area of interest, then click on the quadrangle to see it's name and a link to view purchase information.
- 1 : 24,000 (7.5 minute) Topographic Maps: $8.00 ea.
- 1 : 65,500 (15 minute) Topographic Maps: $8.00 ea. (limited availability)
- 1 : 100,000 (30 x 60 minute) Topographic Maps : $9.00 ea.
- 1 : 250,000 (1 x 2 degree) Topographic Maps: $9.00 ea.
- 1 : 500,000 Topographic Map of New Mexico: $9.00 ea.
We are an official Earth Science Information Center for the U.S. Geological Survey, working cooperatively to provide information to the public. We stock all of the USGS 7.5-minute (1:24,000), 1:100,000, and 1:250,000 topographic maps for the state of New Mexico (at our Socorro office). We also carry other selected USGS publications including most of their geologic maps within New Mexico. A complete list of USGS publications available for purchase directly from the USGS is available online.